Saturday, January 14, 2017

Small Box with Houndstooth Dovetails




Now that I have several projects under my belt, I have many scrap pieces from many different species of wood.  This box that I just completed was an experiment into how to maximize efficiency in my shop.  They might be scrap pieces of wood; however, the quality is exquisite, the only limiting factor to them is size, which makes them perfect for small projects such as this.  I am working out the best strategy for bringing these into production.



They are great jobs for the downtime in the shop in between commissions, or if I'm waiting on finish to dry or wood to season.  They help me get every dollar out of the wood I buy, and keep bringing in revenue when I'm not involved in a commission. They also make great gifts, which in this case, it was.


I joined the sides with houndstooth dovetails, which are my personal favorite when it comes to the process and end result of a dovetail.  It really adds even more character to the dovetails, and with contrasting woods, such as maple against mahogany, provides a striking visual.


I also inlaid a strip of mahogany into the ends of the lid, to keep it from warping, and to continue with the theme of the mahogany on maple contrast.  The lid is hinged with pins driven through a hole drilled into the corner of the box and the ends of the lid, which minimizes expenses even further due to the lack of hardware.  


I also tested out a technique that was new to me – flocking.  This is lining the inside of the box with a colorful suede-like coating.  I chose blue on this one, but I imagine I will be adding green, black, burgundy, orange, and violet once these go into production.  


I branded the underside of the lid with my branding iron that my Grandparents gave me for Christmas.  What a thoughtful gift! I love the design they chose, and I have labeled all of my furniture with it.  I will most likely label the underside of the bottom of the boxes that I put on the market, for a more tasteful appearance.






No comments:

Post a Comment